Drifter's State




Have you seen the landscape change? It goes through a facelift faster than our minds can develop and form new opinions. I often look up into the sky, and I know the walls around me have barricaded my relationship with the stars. 

The succession of darkness takes its course, we set pillars on fire. Why? To see in the dark? No, I think we lost faith in the stars. 


The lights won’t find us paths to the skies, yet we tirelessly build towers upwards and beyond. Tell me, are these for the stars?

In a drifters’ state, we found movements in the night. We found movements that would comfort us when morning reveals the new face of our land. Maybe then we could rest our feet on the ground and rise to the land of stars.
//
This remains one of my favourite series of photos. Over these couple of years of working in town (and meeting a handful of architects), I became increasingly obsessed with architecture and its relationship with people. Recently, a friend of mine began to share the same thoughts and knowledge about Singapore's landscape. (Thanks Ben!) We find our discussion revolved around "did you know about this place/building in Singapore...". 
I find ourselves constantly surrounded by construction. It's disturbing how people just get by with their lives with these machinery and building in their habitat, and only to complain when it obstructs their convenience. 
Then, they hardly look back into the past where they once stood in the old spot that held their memories. The space were simply torn down and built up; these people will live their lives in the replaced structure. I can't help but to feel betrayed by the new buildings because nostalgia that will never find its way back the same way again. Why did we allow this to happen?
//


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Haiku

A morning coffee
Enters my sleepy bloodstream
Now I can function

Meet Miss Midori

Hello, where's my coffee?